Bullying Stops Here
(Anti-Bullying Speaker for Lower or Upper Elementary)
So many kids throw the “bullying flag” without really understanding what bullying is (and what it isn’t). In Bullying Stops Here, Tom presents the topic in a way that kids can understand and can immediately apply to their lives. Using his own story he shows how giving bullies a negative reaction only adds fuel to the fire. And more importantly, he gives them practical steps for how to respond with respect, so students learn how to speak up for themselves and for others. When students discover the power of being an “upstander” they start to prevent bullying at their school. View Tom’s Press Pack »
Your Students Will Learn…
- How to understand the bullying definition from stopbullying.gov
- How to identify the four types of bullying
- How to speak up with respect (for themselves and for others)
- When to get help from a trusted adult
Creating a Culture of Character
Character Speaker for Lower or Upper Elementary
Positive school culture isn’t built by posters and t-shirts alone. Instead, it comes from the attitudes and actions of every person in the school. In this session Tom shows students how to “Be The Change” on their campus. When they see something that needs to change, that’s when they need to “be the change.” And that means taking positive action so everyone knows they matter at school. Using his personal life story Tom shows how character is built by the little choices we make every day and how making these positive choices is the key to Creating a Culture of Character. View Tom’s Press Pack »
Your Students Will Learn…
- How to make positive choices that lead to positive character
- How to identify bullying and how to respond with respect
- How to have positive self-esteem in any situation
- When to “Be The Change” at their schoo
- StopBullying.gov – U.S. government site defining bullying and cyberbullying.
- ESSA – The Every Student Succeeds Act by the U.S. Dept. of Education.
- Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence – A leading promoter of SEL programs.
- No Bullying Schools – One of America’s top evidence-based programs for bullying prevention with an anonymous reporting app and video curriculum.
- Mental Health 101 – Leading whole-school curriculum on mental health and wellbeing with a textbook and teacher’s guide in English, Spanish, & Chinese.
- DARE to Keep Kids of Drugs – Drug and violence prevention program.
- Safe and Sound® – An Educational Leader’s Guide to Evidence-Based Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Programs.
- Second Step – A leading social and emotional learning program.
- Restorative Practices – Framework to address student behavioral issues.
- National Conference of State Legislatures – Comprehensive list of states with anti-bullying and cyberbullying legislation and links to the legislation.
- Edutopia – Free video lessons and practical case studies from educators.
- Kickboard – A Partner with PowerSchool Student Information Systems.
- 7 Mindsets – Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Curriculum and Training.
- Massachusetts Department of Education – Research-Based Model for Positive School Climate and Intervention Planning.
- Olweus Bullying Prevention Program – Violence Prevention Works.
- 11 Principals of Effective Character Education®: Character Education Partnership: Leading a national call to character.
- Steps to Respect: Bullying Prevention Program based on character education model. Focuses on creating healthy boundaries.
- Panorama – Linking SEL with Behavioral Interventions and Supports
- RethinkEd – SEL promoting well-being, connectedness, and success.
- North Carolina Character Education Handbook – Informational handbook and guide for schools seeking to create a character education policy.
- Culturally Responsive Education – Framework for making learning accessible.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – Call or Text 800-273-8255
- Character Counts® – Social and emotional learning program for schools teaches the 6 Pillars of Character®
- PATHS – (Promoting Alternative Thinking Strategies) is a Social Emotional Learning Program for kindergarten through upper elementary.
- CASEL – The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning.
- RTI2 – Response to Instruction and Intervention (framework).
- MTSS – Multi-Tiered System of Support (framework).
- PBIS – Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (framework).